Today we'll be making a Red velvet Cherry cake. This is a great dessert for many occasions including all the different holiday seasons. It is a moist and delicious cake without the use of butter and oil in the cake like all my other cakes. The secret of having a moist delicious cake is how you combine your ingredients! You don't need to use oil and butter to have a moist, delicious, and fluffy cake. In this Red Velvet cake I use a cream cheese mousse icing that is light and not heavy like the regular cream cheese icing that people make. This is one of my favorite icing recipes that people rave about when they taste it and so will you! Also, If you don't like cherries you can omit the use of cherries in this cake.
There are three main parts to making the Red Velvet Cherry cake:
1. Making the cake batter and baking it in the oven.
2. Making the cream cheese mousse icing or frosting.
3. Decorating the cake.
Please refer to my YouTube channel and or this website on how to make the cream cheese mousse icing.
Here is the video demonstration followed by the detailed recipe and step by step instructions.
4.4 ounces (125 grams) of cake flour
6 ounces (170 grams) of sugar
0.5 ounces (14 grams) or 1 tablespoon baking powder
0.6 ounces (17 grams) or 3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
5 tablespoon red cherry preserves
3/4 to 1 cup cherry juice
Coconut oil spray for spraying the sides of your cake pan
8-10 Dark Morello whole cherries for decoration
1 teaspoon Red food coloring
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Cream Cheese Mousse icing.
8” cake pan
Stand mixer with whipping head attachment
8” parchment paper for the cake pan
8” round card board
10” round card board
10” doily paper
Serrated long knife
Pastry Tip Medium size the shape of a star or flower
Step by step procedure:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) for at least 20 minutes.
2 Beat your room temperature eggs and sugar on low speed and increase speed every 2 to 3 minutes. The eggs and sugar will become will blended together rising up your bowl in a smooth creamy texture. You can add your red food coloring and vanilla extract at this stage.
3. Sift all your dry ingredients and table spoon at a time add them to your wet ingredients. Make sure you lower your speed to 3 as you do this so it does not fly into your face.
4. Once complete increase your speed gradually to 8 (or medium) for no more than 30 seconds.
5 Spray your cake pan with coconut oil and place a round 8” parchment paper at the bottom of the cake pan.
6. Pour your cake batter into your cake pan starting from the outer edges. Use a spatula to get everything out into your cake pan.
7. Bake your cake for approximately 45 minutes depending on your oven.
8. Make sure you don’t over bake your cake. Check with a tooth pick or butter knife to see if it is done.
9. Allow the cake to cool before starting to decorate it. Cut your cake into three even layers with a long sharp serrated knife. Cut a very thin layer of the very top of the cake which you will make into crumbs for your cake decoration.
10. Now place your first cake layer on the 8” round card board and apply the cherry juice with your pastry brush. Then apply your cream cheese mousse icing to the cake layer with a spatula or a pastry bag.
11. Put the second layer on top of the first layer and apply the cherry juice and then apply your cherry preserves with a spatula. Stay away from the edges of the cake so it does not seep out. Then apply your icing on top of the cherry preserves.
12. Add your final cake layer and add your cherry juice then your icing on top. Now add icing to the sides of the cake with a spatula or your pastry bag. If you do it with your pastry bag start from the bottom and build up to the top.
13. Take your jug and add hot water to it. Take your spatulas and dip it in the hot water jug and smooth out your cake.
14. Now take your metal or plastic triangle and make your design as shown in the video.
15. Take your very thin top layer of the cake that you cut off and with your hands make it into crumbs. Now place the crumbs in a tray and pick up your cake and apply the cake crumbs to the sides of your cake going up the cake about 1/3 to 1/2 the way from the bottom.
16. Place your cake now on the 10” card board with the doily paper and decorate the top of the cake with your pastry bag making rosettes.
17. Place the dark Morello cherries on the rosettes skipping every two. Now sprinkle the cake crumbs in the center of the cake.
Your beautiful Red Velvet Cherry cake is complete! Enjoy it with some tea or coffee. Here are some pictures of what I made. Also I welcome your comments and questions below.