This is one of my most delicious cakes I have been told. It's fluffy, light and with each gourmet bite you take the cake and cream cheese mousse filling melts in your mouth. The pumpkin pie spice in the cake devours your taste buds leaving the sensation of wanting one more gourmet bite! It's great for any occasion and especially the holidays. It's fun and easy to make too!
Here is the video demonstration followed by the detailed recipe and step by step instructions.
Ingredients for the cake:
1 cup sugar
1 cup cake flour
3/4 cup pumpkin purée
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup Cider spice (optional)
Ingredients for the cream cheese mousse:
1 pounds cream cheese
2 cups powder sugar
3 cups heavy whipping cream
4 to 5 big TBSP of powder sugar
Stand mixer with whipping head and paddle head
Pastry bag and pastry tips ( medium star and small French )
8" and 10" round cake boards
10" doily paper
8" inch cake pan 3" in depth
Step by step instructions:
1. In your stand mixer or with your hand mixer you will beat the eggs and sugar until it's creamy, fluffy, and risen half way up your mixing bowl. This can take 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Then you will add your pumpkin purée and mix for a minute.
3. Now add your dry ingredients table spoon at a time on low speed. Make sure to sift all dry ingredients before adding them. Then increase your speed to medium high for 30 seconds so everything is well incorporated!
4. Spray your 8" cake pan with coconut spray or which ever oil you like to use. The cake pan I use is 3" in depth.
5. Pour the batter along the edges of your cake pan and then allow to settle. You can pick up your cake pan 1/2 an inch off the ground and drop it to pop the air bubbles that are trapped.
6. Your oven should be preheated now for at least 20 minutes on 350 degrees F. Depending on your oven the cake will bake around 40 minutes or so. You can check to see if baked by inserting a tooth pick or touching the cake with your finger and seeing fin it bounces back up. If it does then your cake is ready to be taken out of the oven. If the cake stays indented then please give it a few more minutes.
7. Allow your cake to cool before decorating it. Once cooled cut the cake into three even layers.
8. Place the bottom layer on the 8" cake board and begin decorating with your cream cheese mousse icing. You can use your pastry bag to do this or a spatula. Refer to my video on how to make cream cheese mousse.
9. If you like you can add some spice cider to your cake layers with a pastry brush. If you over baked your cake then definitely add the spice cider. Then put your cream cheese mousse icing on top. Do this for all three layers. Then after you have smoothed out your cake you can transfer the cake onto the 10" cardboard with the doily paper on it.
10. With a hot jug of water and spatulas you can smooth out your cake. Now you may decorate the top and bottom of your cakes with the pastry heads of your choice. Watch my video for decoration ideas.
This pumpkin cream cheese mousse cake is light and delicious! The cake has no oil or butter in it but simple delicious and moist and the icing is light and out of this world. This recipe of mine is an all time favorite of all who taste this cake. Enjoy your pumpkin cream cheese mouse cake with tea or coffee!