Coffee lovers this is for you - the Mocha Coffee chocolate cake. It has a very rich delicious taste that you won't forget and want to make this cake every few months. This is my husband's favorite cake and yes he does ask me to make it every few months or for special occasions. The cake is a chocolate cake with mocha or coffee flavored whipping cream.
Here are the video demonstration, ingredients, equipment and step by step directions.
1. Chocolate round 8" cake. Please click here to watch the video and get the detailed recipe for the cake
2. 4 Cups of Heavy Whipping Cream
3. 4 to 5 TBSP Powder sugar
4. 4 to 6 TBSP Mocha Paste depending on how light or strong you want the coffee taste to be
5. About 7 to 9 Coffee beans to decorate with on top of the cake (optional)
6. Sugar water: 125ml of water, 5 ounces sugar, bring to a boil and allow to cool before use
1. Sharp long serrated knife
2. 8 inch and 10 inch round cardboard
3. 10 inch doily paper
4. Spatulas small and large
5. Pastry Bag and Pastry Tips medium star and small French tips
6. Jug for hot water when decorating to help smooth cake
7. Cake stand
8. Stand mixer with a whipping head or Electric hand Mixer
9. Pastry brush
Step by Step directions:
1. Cut your 8" round chocolate cake into 3 equal and even layers. You can cut a small portion off the top if needed to make it even.
2. Place your bottom layer on your 8" round cardboard for support.
3. Dip your pastry brush into your sugar water or simple syrup and then dab it all over your cake.
4. Now make your Mocha Whipping Cream. Before you start, chill your mixing bowl and whipping head in the freezer for 15 or 20 minutes. Add your powder sugar when the whipping cream is half firm. Then add your mocha to the whipping cream when almost firm. Make sure you lower your mixer speed when adding the powder sugar and the mocha to the heavy whipping cream. If you have not made fresh whip cream before, please refer to my video and instructions on how to make fresh whip cream.
5. Now with your pastry bag or a spatula apply your mocha whipping cream to your bottom layer cake after you have applied the simple syrup or sugar water. Your sugar water or simple syrup is to give some moisture and sweetness to the cake.
6. Place the next cake layer on top and repeat the application of the sugar water and then the moca whip cream on top. Repeat the same steps with the third and final cake layer.
7. Now apply whip cream to the sides of your cake.
8. Now smooth out the cream by dipping your spatula into the hot jug of water and shaking the water droplets off. Watch the video for how to smooth the icing.
9. Now your cake is nice and smooth. If you have the triangle edge, you can use it to make a pattern around the sides and top of your cake.
10. Now you can place your cake on your 10" round cardboard with the doily paper.
11. Decorate the top of your cake with the flower pastry tip and then the bottom with the small French tip.
12. The last step is to place the coffee beans on top of the cake for the decoration.
Great Job on your Mocha Coffee Chocolate cake! Enjoy with some black or Herbal tea of your choice!