Once you try these moist delicious lemon cup cakes you will never want to buy store made. With their fresh home made lemon whip cream icing it becomes one of a kind! These are great for all occasions including birthdays, weddings, and anniversaries. They are simple and quick to make, so lets get baking!
Here are the video demonstration, ingredients, equipment and step by step directions.
Ingredients for cup cake batter:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick salted butter
- 2 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whip cream
- 1 & 1/2 lemon zest (lemon peels)
Decoration for the lemon cupcake:
- Pearl sprinkles
- Lemon candy or fresh cut lemon wedges
Ingredients for lemon whip cream icing:
- 2 cups of heavy whip cream
- 3 large tablespoons of powder sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- stand mixer or hand held mixer
- cupcake trays and liner
- pastry bag and pastry tip (star tip medium size)
- ice cream scooper
Step by step directions for lemon cupcake batter:
1. Pour lemon juice into the milk and stir then allow to stand for 10 minutes. This turns into butter milk and makes our lemon muffins very moist and soft.
2. Take your room temperature butter and place it into your mixing bowl. Now pour your sugar on top and with a paddle head start the stand mixer on low. Slowly raise the speed to get the ingredients well incorporated. Stop mixer occasionally and scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
3. Now add your room temperature eggs one by one to the butter and sugar and allow to mix well starting again on low speed and then increasing the speed. Use spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl to get everything well incorporated. You will do this scraping of the bowl periodically as you add all your ingredients one by one. Make sure you stop your mixer when you are scraping the sides of the bowl. Having room temperature eggs will help with getting everything well mixed together. If you forget to leave your eggs out so they become room temperature you can place them in warm to hot water for 5 minutes or so.
4. Add your milk and lemon juice which have been combined together already to the mixing bowl.
5. Add your lemon zest to the mixing bowl.
6. Add all your dry ingredients into the mixing bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda). You can preheat your oven at 375 degrees F (190C).
7. Add your lemon extract and heavy whip cream to the mixing bowl.
8. Mix all ingredients a short time on low to medium speed until well incorporated.
9. Do not over beat, if you over beat your cupcakes will be hard. Take your spatula and scrape all sides of bowl.
10. Your oven should be preheated to 375F (190C) by now.
11. Use your ice cream scooper to fill the cupcake liners three quarters to the top. This makes about 18 cupcakes depending on your cupcake pan size.
12. Bake for about 20 minutes. Once you have placed them in the oven for about 5 minutes on 375F (190C) then drop the temperature to 350F (175C). They are ready once you place a toothpick inside the cup cake and it comes out clean with no batter on them.
13. Once out of the oven, allow them to cool before icing them.
Step by Step Instructions for lemon whip cream icing:
1. Chill your mixing bowl and whipping head in the freezer for about 10 minutes. This helps to have a firm whip cream.
2. Pour heavy whip cream into your bowl. Start mixing at a low speed (4 out of 10) and gradually increase. Once whip cream is half firm, add your powder sugar to the whip cream.
3. Increase your speed on high (8 out of 10) and once you have firm peaks in your whip cream, lower your mixing speed and add lemon juice and lemon extract. Then increase mixing speed again for a short time until well incorporated.
4. Your lemon whip cream icing is now ready. Please store it in the refrigerator when not using.
To decorate lemon cupcakes:
1. Take your pastry bag and place a medium star tip in it. Fill your pastry bag with whip cream and decorate the top of your cupcakes.
2. Gently squeeze the whip cream out and design the top of the cupcake like a flower as shown in the video.
3. You can use some pearl sprinkle decoration on top of the whip cream.
4. Add your lemon wedges on the very top for added decoration.
Your lemon cupcakes are ready to eat ! Enjoy!